7.27.2010

OH MY GOD! You look just like Shakira, no no you're Catherine Zeta. Actually, my name's Marina.



Not to confuse Marina and the Diamonds (as many do, vocally) with Florence Welch of Florence + the Machine; this little Greco-Welsh pop tart has made quite the name for herself on the UK music charts since she made her debut in 2007 with her freshman album, The Family Jewels.
I'll be honest, I didn't know if I liked what I heard the first time, but a few days later I found myself singing along to one of her songs that got stuck in my head, and immediately purchased her new EP, The American Jewels (which features the Passion Pit remix of the track "I Am Not A Robot") Marina, whose family name is Diamandis (Greek for "diamonds") often has to explain that "the Diamonds" doesn't refer to her band, but to her fans. She explains this on her Myspace by saying "I'm Marina. You are my diamonds".
She's known across the pond as "that bird in the crazy outfits", so to speak. When asked in an interview to describe her style in 3 words, Diamandis said "vintage, cheerleader, and cartoon". If that doesn't make you wanna check this chick out, I don't know what will.

No comments:

Post a Comment